Tuesday 12 April 2011

The three strange keys

Once upon a time in the imagination of Enid Blyton lived a Princess held captive by a wicked witch in a tower. The story went that she could only be set free by three strange keys...

A Key to give the witch a fright
A Key to scale the wall
A Key to carry a burden light
Right over the palace wall


The keys turned out in fact to be a red turKEY and brown monKEY and a grey donKEY.

I loved this story and over the years have read it countless times. It was in an old collection of short stories that belonged to my Mum when she was a little girl, and now I read them to my son.

When the Three Muses shared their creative challenge for the week as any type of key... well, naturally one of these three strange keys sprang immediately to mind - I like to think outside the box!

~So, I settled down with a box of pencils and pulled up some pictures of fine red turkeys. I looked at quite a few. The thing with turkeys is that... well, actually they are not at all bootiful. In fact, they are rather ugly what with their wobbling wattle thing and beady eyes. They all seemed to be giving them the evils for eating them on festive occasions and I started to feel most guilty and considering vegetarianism.

No turkey was clearly going to either drawn or eaten in this house last night. I turned instead to the next hero of the tale - the monkey. Staring at this cheeky face for a couple of hours was really no hardship. He's just too cute! I loved drawing him too - watching him take shape on the page; his eyes peering up at me looking all interested in what I was doing.

Thank you my little mon-key. You did a grand job.

19 comments:

  1. What a cute little mister! You are so darn talented! He is adorable and I love the story behind him too!

    Oh to be this creative when writing! Enid blyton set the bar high she did!

    Smiles and hugs

    Hope you are still actively on the mend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful cheeky little monkey (boy)!!? Very expressive eyes. You did a great job, my friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very special but wonderful take on this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monkey is gorgeous and I love the story behind it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cute monkey!! Love your creative take on the theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the eyes, I think, that bring this little fellow to life. The whole drawing is amazing and his eyes draw you right in to his little monkey soul. I just want to pick him up and hug him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember this story! I haven't thought of it in years. I'm so glad you went with the monkey over the turkey. :) This guy is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What would we do without out you Lisa, taking us to places we have never been before. This is out of the box and some, and absolutely fabulous. Bravo my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, this shook me up as I started to read. I thought at first the monkey was the princess! Lovely, fun story and beautifully sketched monKEY! Welcome back.

    P.S. Strangely, Fairy Godmother disappeared for a time as well......

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so talented! Love your story and your delightful monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now why didn't I think of this????????
    Brilliant!!!
    thanks for the morning fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love yer little mon-key! Girl....you're really growing in your art/skills. Love seeing that unfold here. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your Mon Key, what a great story loved it and your little ape is gorgeous.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your story and your Mon Key!! Great take on the theme and a beautiful drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is adorable! I love reading your stories, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't you clever and talented! This is such a wonderful submission, and I just love it! I really like the way your mind works, and your talent is very obvious. So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The story is delightful and it was a great idea to use it for the challenges. The MonKEY is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool monkey & story, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...