Monday 27 December 2010

BIG mistake... HUGE...

When you're feeling a little under the weather (and speaking of which, rather fed up with the compacted snow and sub-zero temperatures), really wound up and tense, snappy and snarly... what's the best medicine? Staying at home with your loved ones in the warm watching old movies? A soothing sketch or two? Or, hitting the sales?

Sometimes I wonder where my common sense went. Apparently I took it with me shopping.

BIG mistake - we're talking Julia Roberts-style, longer than Rodeo Drive, HUGE mistake! Fighting traffic, wading through slush, fighting through crowds of zombie-like shoppers ambling three-a-breast, tangled clothes pulling six hangers off the rail, surly shop assistants with anti-customer policies....

I'm still shuddering at the horror of the whole experience now. Some people were just designed to be Sale shoppers and some of us should stick to shops that end in letters like .com or .co.uk. Much safer on the sensibilities I can tell you.

Still, there's a bright side. I'm home now, smelling sweetly of 'half price' body lotions, plugged into soothing music and... I didn't spend much!

I'm not too sure what has wound me like a coiled spring (a rusty, creaking one at that). Perhaps I have chopped too many vegetables over the past few days or maybe it's because I had to pack away 'my art studio' so we could actually sit at the posh dining table over the festive season... Am I suffering withdrawal? Should I shove some acrylic paint down my fingernails or spill glue down my clothes to make me feel better?

13 comments:

  1. Art always makes me feel better, so find a way to go play with your toys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I've been in the same paint-stained clothes for 2 days...I call it heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know just how you feel...I am now faced with the daunting task of 'un-christmasing' the house, cleaning up after a ten person, three day christmas extravaganza, and I just want to curl up and sip hot tea and veg!

    Hugs of commiseration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Art is the best medicine!!! My friends woke up at 4 am to head shopping!!! I prefer pjs and paint, sketchpads and ink...any day!!!

    Have fun with your buys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crowds of frantic shoppers is my idea of hell! We're going to the the City (San Francisco to us locals) for a few days....hope it's not a mistake. No shopping, just art museums. Hope to bring back some inspiration and get back to creating. Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am SO NOT a shopper, either! I much rather stay home, warm and cozy...reading, writing, watching old movies on TV, blogging, etc! I, too, have been away from writing for what seems like an eternity, and I can't wait to get back into it! Hope you get back to your art soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww bless you Lisa, I hate the post Christmas sales! Well actually I like the bargains just hate the crush, hussle and bustle and frayed tempers!!! Give me paint instead ANYTIME!

    Thankfully we have just two grocery stores, one bargain store, a wine shop, liquor store and a pharmacy in town so not exactly a frenzy of shopping! I went to town to get some mushrooms to add to left over turkey for creamed turkey en croute and all the shops were shut - power outage apparently! So I came home and played with my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. he hehe I think I"m feeling very much the same at the moment, I'm really having withdrawels from my creative routine!!! I'm just about to brave the sales today so wish me luck!!!!

    Merry Christmas and happy new year!! oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it takes a little torturous shopping to make us realise what we really want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! You are so comical. I hate shopping and would never go to a sale anywhere at any time. .com suits me well as does shopping when noone is around..early morning..if I have to...

    Yes..I think shoving acrylic down your nails is a good idea! I know what you mean..I've still got another week of holiday left before I can hit the studio and I can't wait either...

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah my friend, I am having the same feelings of withdrawal! I have to keep telling myself 'it's ok you will get back to it soon.' But I keep doing my obligations and trying to be in the moment KNOWING that the creative will be so much sweeter once I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the withdrawl feeling. I was forced to look for real work recently (Still am) and packed up my art studio so it wouldn't distract me....no art for four days...at the end I was so confuzzled that I found myself in the mall wanting to go up and inseead stood staring at a down escalator wondering why it was going the wrong way:P The artist friend laughed and said, "it's a metaphore for your life! You're gong the wrong way!" So my art studio was put back together:P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love shopping, not so much the sales, but the experience of it all. It tends to put my life back into perspective. I love to see that I am a better shopper than I once was. I can now say, no, I really don't need that. I love the out of the way shops, the little finds and treasures that aren't on the map. If I bring home one tiny treasure, one great bargain, or my pocket book as it was, then the shopping was worth the experience. Best of all, I love coming home to what I love and the best shopping of all, homemade from the fabulous shops on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...