Tuesday 18 May 2010

Child's play


We're nearing the end of the experimental art course. It's been such a pleasure just playing - a return to childhood where art could be anything. I think my love of collage came from cutting up Mothercare catalogues and making pictures with a glue paste made from flour and water. Babies in prams, babies in warm clothes, babies in nappies, babies having fun, babies getting messy! Good old Mothercare!

Funny, my son loves a catalogue too - particularly anything involving lego or other toys... And I have become rather attached to the latest Boden catalogue. It's not just the lovely (but sadly over-priced) clothes; it's the pictures themselves, the locations; the style. I want to draw them all, cut them out and make ... well.... collages.

I present above a bit of a return to child's play. Tea stained page in my sketchbook with a simple cut out from the Boden catalogue. I got this far, intending to do more then stopped - cause I rather liked it! Sandals on the beach... Mmmm - don't you just wish your toes were scrunching through sand right now, shoes kicked off and running into the waves.
I wonder what happened to other six shoes from these pairs... I feel a short story coming on - perhaps involving six single lads searching for the owners of the missing sandals, a modern twist on Cinderella. Will the six single ladies ever be reunited with their footwear and will they welcome the addition of a handsome man returning it to them? I think that they'll just slip their shoes back on, laugh and head out along the beach arm in arm singing happily and swigging champagne!
PS: I guess this rather loosely fits with Mixed Media Monday's Child's Play theme too!

19 comments:

  1. Love it!! I'm a big shoe fanatic so this piece really speaks to me...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Just popping by to let you know I'm passing the Life is Good Award on to you because you inspire me. Thanks. More info on my blog. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love cutting up my mum's catalogues when I was young too. To be honest I still tear anything and everything out of my magazines - there is something very satisfying about that tearing sound, and I have files for different images or I pin them to my mood wall.

    Love your pic, it makes me feel Summery and I love the swirled tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, sometimes simple is more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the perfect fit!!! How adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know the story of the dancing princesses who wore their shoes out every night - I can't remember the details, but I am sure they would love this pretty selection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lisa what a lovely idea and perfect work.
    Fantastic design. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shoes are so cute and now you got me all intrigue about the "short story". Are you going to write it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what they say - if the shoe fits... or should that be cap? Lol! Sounds like you enjoyed your course, Lisa! Doesn't life get in the way of art?
    Collage away hunni - therapeutic, it is! =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This piece is great, it says 'feel the sand between your toes'. Ahhhh there is nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable piece and I just love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the simplicity of your art piece and the story! perfect fit!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the story! and the piece too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tea-stained paper works perfectly for sand, and I have to agree, it's just perfect as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful - the course sounds like it was lots of fun! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you are on to something to the beginnings of your short story

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...